Letter to the Editor: Tolerance is Still Important

By Emma Pfister

I’m writing in response to Aaron Chambers’ Sept. 12 letter to the editor, “Mourning First, Diversity Second.”

Even though I have found many disagreeable facets to Chamber’s letter, I am choosing to focus on one item which I feel is rather pertinent.

Stating that Sept. 11 memorials should not be turned “into a political push for sensitivity and tolerance,” and that we should “let people grieve the way they choose” is a powerful statement.

Americans do have the legal right to choose a way to grieve. However, when grievances are suffixed with hindrances toward other human beings because of their nationality, ethnicity, gender or religion, this “choice” becomes a major problem.

After Sept. 11 there have been frequent acts of hate and stereotyping towards people of Middle Eastern decent or those of the Muslim religion. These acts are a hindrance and blatant injustice to their lives and freedoms.

This can never be tolerated. It is simply not right.

So, yes, there should be a “push for sensitivity and tolerance” on Sept. 11.

As wounds are reopened with vivid images on the TV screen, and fear once again is instilled with a code orange of terrorism for the nation, we must remember to respect others, and to grieve with respect for others.

After all, hate crimes towards anyone are no better than attacks on the World Trade Center.

Emma Pfister

Senior, Spanish