Letter to the Editor: Machen Overdoes Tolerance

By Mathew Higbee

After reading President Machen’s speech on Sept. 11, I was left wondering if anyone could deliver a more inadequate or self-absorbed speech with a straight face.

On the anniversary of the worst crime ever committed against the United States, how could Machen fail to speak of the need to continue to pursue justice? How could he not thank or even mention the men and women in service who are putting their lives on the line to prevent such an atrocity from occurring again?

Machen treated the crowd to inane babble about tolerance, diversity and the need to “seek a collective solution to the current dilemma.” Does President Machen believe that the World Trade Center would still be standing if we could have only gotten the leaders of al Qaeda and the United States to attend a diversity seminar?

Soon after his remarks about diversity, Machen delivered this gem: “War will not solve the problems of the world.” Only two types of people can get away such a meaningless line?beauty pageant contestants and university presidents.

Unless one actually believes that there is something that will eliminate the world’s “problems,” the meaningful question is what will best reduce the problems. In the case of terrorism, declaring war on those who perpetrate or sponsor it seems to be a rather effective way to reduce terrorism.

President Machen went on to say that “We are citizens of the world.” May I say respectfully, speak for yourself. I am an American, a citizen of the United States, and on the one-year anniversary of Sept. 11 I want to hear about freedom, unity and justice?not tolerance, diversity and understanding.

Mathew Higbee

Graduate Student, Law