Letter to the Editor: High School Shenanigans Return

It’s interesting to see ASUU campaign posters littering the campus this time of year. It’s like going back to high school, witnessing a bunch of students vying for popularity rights.

Generally, the candidates’ qualifications are that mommy and daddy gave them some money so that they can distribute ridiculous-looking stickers, dress up vehicles and act like everybody’s best friend for only two weeks.

I received my undergraduate here at the U and am currently pursuing my master’s. I have seen six different elections and campaigns. What did they all have in common? Once they win, they accomplish nothing while in office. Over the years, I have had opportunities to work with ASUU. I know many individuals elected in times past. I have personally witnessed that ASUU has no real power.

Let’s say for argument’s sake that ASUU is important. Do these candidates actually think that an absurd party logo accompanied with doughnuts, expensive posters and basketball hoops actually qualify them to represent the student body? It is only a popularity contest, exactly like those in high school in which truly qualified candidates generally do not win. But I guess it isn’t that different from real life.

Nevertheless, I just hope that everyone realizes that, in the end, it doesn’t matter who wins, the “elected” students do nothing. They can’t, because they have no real authority. So why all the hoopla? Good question. I’ve been wondering that same thing every year since I started up here. However, in the words of Dennis Miller, “That’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.”

Justin Bagley

Master’s of Accounting