Bullet Proof Partner: U Student Helps Law Enforcement Agencies Get Grants

By Nicole Warburton

When hiring for an open position, most employers will look for two things: a resume that stands out and a positive attitude. U student Janneke House says her internship in Washington, D.C., helped her to develop those qualities.

“I worked for a program under the Department of Justice called the Bullet Proof Vest Partnership Program,” she said. “It was a very hands-on experience where I was forced to speak up and to communicate with several different people each day.”

Working with a mentor, House called law enforcement agencies to see if they qualified for federal grant money for new bullet-proof vests.

“The vests are not cheap,” she said. “If an officer is shot or stabbed, the vest is pretty much useless and they will need to purchase a new one. We offered grant money that would help out with as much as 50 percent of the cost of a new vest.”

Through her interactions with agencies, House learned about the inner-workings of law enforcement, and was given lessons about guns and bullet-proof vests.

“I was taken to a shooting range several times, and I also got to see them test the vests by shooting at them,” she said. “They would shoot, then look at the vests and see how the bullet penetrated.”

In addition, House was able to travel to Philadelphia and speak with law enforcement agencies and visit with FBI officers and S.W.A.T. team members.

“I was able to go to FBI headquarters, visit their training grounds, sit in on political hearings and go to several festivals,” she said. “Each day was different, and I think having that experience in such a political setting has helped me to understand the processes of law and citizen involvement.”

According to House, she was the youngest of 13 interns working for the Bullet Proof Vest Partnership Program. Some of the interns came from Harvard and Columbia University.

“I was young,” House said. “I had never really been away from home, and I was forced to jump right in and go to work. I just had to roll with the punches and do the best that I could.”

House says much of her work was under her own direction. She says her mentor explained projects then sent her off on her own.

“I really just jumped right in,” she said.

Because she was on her own and working in a “real world” environment, House says she was prepared for college and the job market. She is currently working for Mayor Rocky Andersen’s re-election campaign as a research intern.

“I research issues such as what effect downtown dorms would have on the city,” she said. “I call up other cities and research how downtown dorms worked for them.”

While House got her internship through a family friend, summer internships are available through a variety of organizations. The Hinckley Institute of Politics at the U offers several internship opportunities.

On their Web site, it says, “The purpose of the Hinckley Institute of Politics is to share Robert H. Hinckley’s vision and to encourage and teach students respect for politics and the importance of citizen involvement in government.”

Opportunities are available in the offices of Utah’s congressmen and senators, with lobbying groups in public administration and communication.

The Fund for American Studies is another group that offers internships with U.S. Senators in corporate government affairs, journalism and U.S. departments such as the Department of Justice.

On its Web site, it says, “Experience counts in a competitive job market and there is no better place to gain valuable job skills than the fast-paced city of Washington, D.C.”

According to House, an internship experience is one that each student should experience.

“You know, I didn’t make much money,” she said. “But, I would do it all over again if I could.”

House says her experience was educational, fun, and helped to set her up for future experiences and jobs.

“It really set me up for some great life experiences,” she said. “I was able to learn about job opportunities that correspond with my interests and prepare myself for future opportunities.”