ASUU looks to grant Writing Center $10,000

By John Boyack

Money seems to be tight in just about everyone’s pocketbooks these days, with one exception: ASUU.

The Associated Students of the University of Utah Student Senate meets tonight at 7 p.m. to discuss the logistics of a bill that would grant the U Writing Center an extra $10,000, in addition to the more than $10,000 they’ve already been awarded by ASUU.

If successful, the legislation will move to the ASUU General Assembly next week.

Apparently, projections undershot the ultimate goal.

The new funding, if received, will go toward the purchase of a handful of computers, some basic writing and tutoring software, telephones and a printer.

Right now, the new Writing Center-located on the third level of Marriott Library-houses several reserved cubicles with nothing more than black swivel chairs and beige file cabinets.

The center is designed to serve students throughout the school year with term papers, assignments, essays and other school-related projects.

While many student leaders say the funding is necessary and available, some students are skeptical, such as Danny Rees, a U chemistry junior, who questions exactly how it’s possible to command upward of $20,000 for a writing center.

“We can stick them in a corner of the Union,” he recommended, or just leave students to study at home.

With frustrated students already shelling out costs for increased tuition and student fees, many are hoping for a more conservative approach to spending.

But Wendy Dau, a graduate student in history, disagrees.

A teacher in Davis County, Dau says she understands the need for students to be able to receive help with what seems to be a dying art: writing.

“A writing center is imperative at any university, and any amount we have to spend to get one is worth it,” she said.

Fortunately for her and others who back the bill, the legislation is well-supported by ASUU, the Office of Undergraduate Studies and Marriott Library, according to Cole Cannon, one of two sponsors for the requisition.