Plazafest Saturday

By John Boyack

Plazafest-“What the hell is that?” asked U gender-studies major Martha McLaughlin, when asked about the upcoming event.

The answer can be found at information booths, on displayed banners and among the postcards discarded all over campus.

Plazafest, not to be confused with Fan Fest or RedFest, is planned by U Orientation and will set up more than 100 tables on the patio just outside the Union this Saturday, from 2 to 5 p.m.

The occasion attempts to combine events and campus organizations so that students can come take advantage of the information that’s available, said Gwen Fears, U Orientation director.

“Ideally, we’d love for everyone to stop by Plazafest,” she said.

Organizers have asked student groups, clubs, colleges, the counseling center and others to reserve tables and be available to help and answer any student inquiries.

According to Kare McManama Kearin, Associated Students of the University of Utah office coordinator, student leaders, such as ASUU President Adrian Johnson, will be on hand to meet and greet students.

Plazafest will also feature a live band and a prize giveaway. All attendees who complete the requirements for the giveaway are eligible to receive gifts such as a large television, complete with DVD and VCR, a Playstation or a boombox.

All prizes were donated for the event by the U’s Alumni Association.

Rules for the giveaway will be explained at the event.

Jason Porter, a soon-to-be declared business major, says that finding information about the event has been difficult.

Furthermore, because it’s held on a Saturday, other engagements will prevent him, along with others, from attending.

According to some students, like university-studies student William Chatwin, the U is trying to “confuse us” with a bizarre lesson in semantics.

Lesson or not, Plazafest enters its ninth year, hoping to build upon the success of last year’s event, which Fears estimated had an attendance of more than 4,000.

Organizers are anticipating big numbers again.