Wellness Week hits U today

This year’s promises to be the “biggest attended” Wellness Fair at the U, according to Rob Hunsaker, coordinator of the Alcohol and Drug Education Center.

The fair will be held on Wednesday at the Union Ballroom, starting at 10 a.m., but encompassing the event will be a week’s worth of activities promoting health, according to Jason Gillman, a health educator in the Office of Health Promotion.

The Wellness Week events are sponsored by the Wellness network-a “coalition of different offices and departments on campus” in the business of health, Gillman said.

The fair is put on by the Student Health Service and the Student Health Advisory Committee.

All activities are open to all students, and there’s a lot to gain, said Gillman and Hunsaker.

There are five areas of health, Hunsaker said: physical, mental, social, intellectual and spiritual.

Research shows that wellness comes with enhanced health in all five areas, he said.

Wednesday’s fair-with more than 80 health organizations from the campus and community participating-is geared at doing just that.

Students can participate in a number of activities, including donating blood and taking many kinds of health screenings, like alcohol-level, eye and mental health.

In addition to that, Chartwells will provide free lunch for the first 500 people at the fair.

Entertainment will be provided by a Hungarian band and a jazz band, and there will also be numerous giveaways, including tickets to the Utah Jazz and Utah Symphony as well as gift certificates from the Pie Pizzeria, among other area restaurants.

Wellness Week Activities

Today Gold Medal Mile Walk noon Union Plaza

Wednesday Wellness Fair 10 a.m to 2 p.m. Union Ballroom

Thursday Three open houses ADEC 12 to 2 p.m. Student Services Bldg. Room 328

Women’s Resource Center 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Union Room 293

Student Health Services 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday “Service Trick or Can” 6 p.m. West parking lot of Rice-Eccles Stadium