Is Rape Okay Just Because It’s War?

By [email protected]

According to the New York Times on Feb. 25, “The United States military is facing the gravest accusations of sexual

misconduct in years, with dozens of servicewomen in the Persian Gulf area and elsewhere saying they were sexually

assaulted or raped by fellow troops, lawmakers and victims advocates said on Wednesday. There have been 112 reports of

sexual misconduct over roughly the past 18 months in the Central Command area of operations, which includes Iraq, Kuwait

and Afghanistan, military officials said on Wednesday.” I was just curious as to why this is not reported here, I find it

worthy important information because, not only has the president’s case for the War in Iraq crumbled with its 10,000 plus

deaths, 3,000 plus civilian deaths in Afghanistan, and now this. It seems war has not come so far despite its

technological advancements and “[kinda] smart bombs.” I am distressed for 2 reasons. the first being that this is even

happening at all (the rapes and the bogus war), but that it’s really not being reported very much. The article went on to

say that some have been punish, but I wonder how severe a punishment it is? slap on a wrist? reassignment? If anything

they should get the average penalty in the United States for Rape: 3 years in jail. 3 years? The new justification for

the war is “well, if you had your way, Saddam would still be in power, and he tortures people, so there!” Well guess what

ladies and gentlemen, rape is torture, and as Saddam tortured his people, he got a war brought to him (along with an

embarassing capture photo a la Nick Nolte). Does anybody else think this is a little hypocritical? Why do we protect our

rapists? I refuse to believe it’s any lesser of a crime simply because it is war.