Comedy Dinner aims to unite U diversity groups

Some well-known comedians will help transform the Union Panorama Room into a comedy club for a few hours this Wednesday, beginning at 6 p.m.

Comedians Felipe Esparza, Flye and Edwin San Juan will tell jokes during the Associated Students of the University of Utah’s “Comedy Connection.”

These comedians have performed on NBC, CBS, BET’s “Comic View” and Galavision’s “Que Locos” program.

Anthony White, ASUU vice president and organizer of the event, first heard the comedians at the Casa Latina in Los Angeles, near his hometown.

“I liked the show so much. They make you laugh,” White said.

Since then, he says he has seen the jokesters perform about eight times. After one show, he asked the comedians if they would like to come perform at the U, and they accepted.

White originally planned the event to promote diversity. Esparza is Hispanic, Flye is black and Edwin San Juan is Filipino. White opened the event to U diversity groups first and other student groups next, but everyone is invited to attend.

Kare McManama-Kearin, ASUU office coordinator, said she hopes the event brings groups together.

“We are trying to get as many people as possible from different backgrounds together to eat, laugh and poke fun at ourselves. This isn’t some ‘diversity’ event…hopefully it will be a kicker that will open doors, open minds and especially open hearts,” she said.

White said that for the first 90 minutes, student groups will talk about themselves and what they do “in order to network,” while dinner is served.