Letter to the Editor: Offensive nude photos are anything but tasteful, expose too much

On March 12, I picked up a copy of The Daily Utah Chronicle so that I could see the result of the elections. As I was flipping through the pages to find the continuation of the article “RE:buffed,” I came across one of the pictures that was associated with the article “Naked Truth.” I was shocked and offended by this picture of a nude man. Now, I am very familiar with many of the arguments used in favor of these nude pictures. Many will probably argue that the pictures were tastefully done and that they didn’t show anything. Also, many people argue that nudity is nothing we haven’t already seen. Within the article itself, it argues that in order for people to truly understand art, they need to study the human body. The article also states that nudity is a natural condition of the body and that the nudity is “…about academics, not sexuality.” And, of course, there will always be the cry of academic freedom.

Now let me state my position. If you agree with these statements, please remember that they are only the set of reasons that you have personally chosen to view nudity in your life. I wish to become a certified public accountant, and I do not see how nudity is going to help me in becoming a better accountant. I do not believe that the pictures were tasteful, and I saw more in the pictures than I wanted to see. I also do not understand the argument that because the world has already forced me to see something that I didn’t want to see that I should just give up the battle and welcome any future efforts of the world to force me to view such things.

In the end, it comes down to this. As far as I could tell, the pictures included with the article “Naked Truth” were not essential to the article, and they should not have been included with the article. Academic freedom gives journalists the right to argue for the importance of nudity. It gives them the right to try to convince me that I should view nudity. It also gives me the right to disagree with them and to argue that they shouldn’t view nudity. However, I should have the right to not actually see the pictures until I have agreed that I want to see them.

Holly Bigelow

Sophomore, Business