The Chronicle’s View: Support American Indian Awareness Week

Many students and faculty who were in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Olympic Winter Games will likely remember what many considered a highlight of the Opening Ceremony, namely when all five Utah American Indian Tribes-Ute, Navajo, Paiute, Goshute and Shoshoni-performed a memorable act before an international audience-together, for the first time. It was a significant moment in Utah and American Indian history, especially considering that tribes traditionally seek to remain distinct and separate from each other.

All five tribes have come together again, this time to celebrate American Indian Awareness Week on the U campus. Through a series of lectures and activities-from an American Indian arts and crafts sale to the 32nd Annual U Pow Wow-the tribes will inform the U community what sets them apart from their tribal counterparts.

With the theme “Unity and Diversity through History,” the week’s events also appropriately seek to focus on the importance of coming together, of unifying, to celebrate what makes each tribe unique.

How important it is that U students and faculty-and all Utahns for that matter-understand Utah’s unique history. And the history of the American Indians is, indeed, intertwined with the history of our state. Attendance at this week’s events will help all participants gain a better understanding of what sets each tribe apart from the others and why it is important to understand their history.

Besides, the U administration has, especially in recent years, promoted and celebrated the increasing diversity on campus. The U community should take the time to celebrate that diversity-specifically the diversity enhanced by American Indian students and faculty on campus.

Such events are also important for minority students, who may not feel like they have a place to belong at the U. American Indian Awareness Week-like other weeks similar to it in the purpose of promoting diversity awareness-give minority students an additional cause to belong, without being judged. But all are encouraged to take part in what is an important attempt to spread understanding and acceptance on a campus somewhat lacking in both areas. It is about coming together to celebrate what makes each of us unique.