Violence and fraud at Gotham U

Attempted counterfeit car purchase

A U employee went to an online site to sell her van. After being contacted by an interested agent in England, she agreed to sell the van for $8,000 to a man the agent knew in Canada. The agent told the woman he would send her a $14,000 check to cover the cost of the van and the shipping fee. He instructed the woman to write a check for $6,000 from her account-the cost of the shipping-and send it to the shipper in Canada as soon as she received the $14,000. Instead of sending the check immediately, the woman decided to wait to see if the $14,000 check cleared. It didn’t. In fact, the bank informed her it was a counterfeit check. She immediately contacted police, who plan to pass the case on to the FBI.

Intramural gets ugly

Two players involved in an intramural basketball game took a disagreement outside after arguing with each other about a referee’s call. Police were called to break up the fight and the men left the area immediately once police arrived. Neither wanted to visit the hospital for their bloody faces, which police described as minor injuries. No charges were filed.

Resignation request results in assault

A student told police he was assaulted inside the LDS Institute of Religion on March 23 after asking another student who works for him to resign. The student was asked to resign because of laziness, the victim told police. Instead of complying, the student jumped on the victim and began choking him. He then threw the victim to the floor. Several witnesses provided police with written statements, all of which can be used as evidence if the victim decides to press charges. So far, no charges have been filed.

Threat of rape

An employee of Primary Children’s Medical Center discovered that a man had left a message on her work phone stating that he planned on finding and raping her. The employee does not know who the man is. Police are investigating the incident, and in the meantime Detective Mike McPharlin encouraged the woman to take safety precautions. “I would avoid putting myself in a position where I couldn’t defend myself or escape, and I would be more consciously aware of surroundings,” he said.

Compiled by Cara Wieser