The Chronicle’s View: Take time to think of all Holocaust victims

Some people say it is impossible to “never forget” historical events with far-reaching ramifications, such as the Holocaust. If this were the case, there would not be a need to set aside a particular day or week to remember what happened.

The truth is, history has shown that we too easily forget the events of the past-we unnecessarily repeat the same, vicious cycles of tyranny and oppression, even though we are horrified by genocides of the past.

This week commemorates the 20th anniversary of the “Days of Remembrance” at the U, a week set aside to memorialize the victims of the Holocaust. The events coincide with the national Holocaust Remembrance Day on April 18.

How important it is to set aside a period of time to remember those who died at the hands of merciless, brutal men and women. A major emphasis of “Days of Remembrance” in past years has been the 6 million Jews who did not survive the Holocaust. This is obviously a central focus of this dark period in human history and ought to receive the attention it deserves.

But in our remembrance of the victims of the Holocaust, one cannot overlook the fact that an additional 6 million individuals were singled out, robbed of their possessions and homes, relocated to concentration camps, tortured, raped and brutally murdered. Homosexuals, gypsies, the elderly and the disabled were among those who were targeted.

“Days of Remembrance” is important because it focuses on a single event-not a cultural movement, which often serves as the catalyst for other days and weeks set aside to remember or commemorate certain events. Students and faculty ought to take advantage of the opportunities to learn more about Holocaust, whether it be in the form of lectures, films or workshops.

Some people may feel the events of more than a half-century ago do not affect us today.

Others may remember what happened but downplay its significance. And there are some people who deny the Holocaust ever took place.

Setting aside a week to remember what happened will help address these concerns. The U community is reminded, once again, that if we fail to learn from our history, we are doomed to repeat it. We learn of the importance of not minimizing the suffering of millions of victims. And those who may still doubt the reality of the Holocaust are reminded of the first-hand accounts, photographs and other evidence for the mass genocide.

If we don’t take time to remember and truly process the events of the past, such as the Holocaust, it is only a matter of time before we are doomed to repeat them.