Ten Things I Hate About “U”

By [email protected]

Perhaps this would be better as a guest editorial as it is longer than a typical letter to the editor.

Ten Things I hate about “U”

No, this will not be another piece focusing on the callus fight required to get a parking spot on campus. In fact, hate is a strong word that might offend so can I change it to dislike? In any case, my time as a student at this fine institution is coming to a close. In the end, my fondness for this place will outweigh the negatives. However, I felt it pertinent to address a few minor “needs,” that our administration may want to consider.

I first wanted to address a few inconveniences that almost all students have had to shoulder throughout our educational pursuits. Many of us work full time during the day and as such, need classes scheduled more suitable to such a schedule. While there are a plethora of general courses taught at night or in the early morning, many programs do not offer any major requirements during this timeframe. A good number of my vacation time (from work) has not been spent on a beach somewhere down south. Instead, it has been spent mid-day and mid-week sitting in a classroom. Additionally, you would think that my full-time job that helps me hone real-world professional skills would be a good thing. However, numerous professors have counted this experience against me, unwilling to allow the smallest amount of leniency for this necessary predicament. What is with absentee policies anyway? Instead of punishing students for skipping, why not make the class difficult enough that they can’t miss. However, this just might be too much work for some professors.

Take a moment with me and consider the student population here at our school. Statistics indicate that a majority of us are LDS, conservative, work at least part-time and commute to campus. Yet, the intellectual culture at our institution punishes us for these supposed impediments. Here are several examples for your review. The school newspaper is run out of a Subaru station wagon with a “Save our Canyons,” sticker on the bumper. You would think that since our school newspaper is being used as an educational model, that they would at least attempt some degree of objectivity with their reporting. Guess what? Most of us students actually like President Bush. Stop using our student fees to force a non-objective agenda upon us through your slanted reporting. Our student government (ASUU) has the same problem. They are blowing our student fees on items we can get for free, such as the recent allocation of funds to purchase local newspapers that are available online at no cost. I understand the importance of students groups and clubs. Allowing space in the Union building is one thing, but complete financing is another. Maybe the ACLU should sue in my behalf for forcing me to financially support groups that don’t coincide with my values. But that probably wouldn’t be politically correct. The OSH building is a rough in the diamond patch. However, all of this building’s troubles combined do not measure up to the most comprehensive issue of all; the restrooms. Never in my life have I ever seen such disgusting and atrocious facilities. It defies the term, “restroom.” At least there is always something new to read on the walls and stalls, right? Wrong. These restrooms are a sad commentary on the perceived intellectual state and culture at the U. It takes me all the way back to junior high. It is so bad that I have joined a number of individuals who would rather walk over to the Union, than “rest” ourselves in this building.

When I said that this column wouldn’t be about parking, I wasn’t telling the complete truth. I am just so glad that the university decided to spend $5 million on an Olympic Legacy bridge that is used by approximately three tumbleweeds a week, instead of using that money to build a much needed parking garage. And don’t tell me to hop on public transportation. I live in Davis County and I work in Weber County. If I took the bus, I would see my family once a week on Sunday mornings from 5-7 am. Seriously though, I would love to take the bus, but it just doesn’t work for me and a good portion of students. Let’s build facilities enough to support those who have no other alternative but to drive.

I could go on complaining about Chartwells, the bookstore and other items, but I want to finish on a positive note. I will leave this university with great affection for: online registration, computer access, our awesome sports teams and the vast number of professors who truly exemplify the teaching profession. I will miss our beautiful campus as well as sleeping on the couches and playing pool at the Union. At the end of it all, I will proudly put a “Ute Alumnus,” license plate cover on my car. However, I just remembered that my masters program will start this fall.

Benjamin HorsleySenior, Communications