Utes At A Glance

Track

The U track team wrapped up its outdoor season last weekend with a strong showing at the NCAA regional qualifying meet.

Senior Nellie Hammons notched a new school record in the 800 meters, an event she has dominated for two consecutive years, with her time of 2 minutes, 6.97 seconds. Hammons finished in fourth place, and as a top-five finisher, she earned an automatic qualification to the upcoming NCAA Nationals.

Hammons was the only Ute to advance to the finals, but several others closed out solid seasons with good performances.

Senior Katie Decker tied for 11th in the high jump, while junior Jen Jackman landed an eighth-place finish in the 400-meter hurdles with her second-fastest time ever.

On the men’s side, senior Nephi Tyler finished his season with a ninth-place finish in the 1,500-meter run.

Swimming

The U swimming program finished up its offseason moves when high school prep star Michelle Blair signed a national letter of intent with the Utes last week.

Blair, of Orlando, Fla., is the final addition to head coach Mike Litzinger’s 2004-05 swim team. Determined to turn the U into a contender for swimming, Litzinger has made steady improvements to the team since his arrival.

Blair was a high school All-American, as well as a Florida state runner-up in the 100-yard fly during her final two years of high school. Blair sat out the 2003-2004 season to focus on training.