Utes At A Glance

SoftballUte shortstop Glennis Donnelly has been named to the Easton All-America Third Team. Donnelly tied the Utah single-season record for doubles with 17. Donnelly’s 19 home runs were good for fifth in the NCAA in home runs per game. The senior was an all-MWC selection for the second straight year, leading the Utes with 50 RBI and a .760 slugging percentage.

GymnasticsAll-American gymnast Melissa Vituj has made the CoSIDA Academic All-American list. Vituj’s 3.45 GPA in health promotion and education was good enough for a spot on the third team. Vituj ended her career as one of the top Ute gymnasts in history. She was named an All-American 11 times while winning 48 all-around or individual event titles. The Ada, Mich., native holds eight of the top 10 all-around spots on the Utah scoring list, and led the Utes to four straight Super Six national championship appearances.

GolfUte golfers Carl Jensen and Luke Swilor received Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar status for 2004. The award, given out by the Golf Coaches Association of America, rewards golfers for maintaining high standards on and off the links. Jensen, a senior with a 3.31 GPA in accounting, participated in all but one tournament. His best score for the season was 217 at the University of Wyoming Cowboy Classic in April. Swilor graduated in May with a 3.66 GPA in economics. This is the second time he has won the award, as he received it as a junior last season. Swilor posted a season-best 210 at the Falcon Invitational, where he finished in second place.

Women’s BasketballIncoming freshmen Jessica Perry and Marie Warner have been invited to join the training camp for Canada’s junior national team. The team will attempt to qualify for the Junior Women’s World Championship Tournament in 2005. Perry is a 6-foot-2-inch forward from Guelph, Ontario. Warner, also from Ontario, is a 5-foot-10-inch guard from Hamilton. The two recruits continue the Utes’ Canadian pipeline with current players Kim Smith and Shona Thorburn, who are already on the national team.

Do you have comments or concerns you want to voice?

For a chance to see your opinions in print please email us your letters at: