A review of the Revue

Even though only half of the Rocky Mountain Revue is complete, I have seen enough to formulate an opinion of how the significant first-round picks did over the weekend.

Wins and losses were not even an issue for me as I watched the games since about half of the players at the summer league will not make NBA rosters for the regular season.

Even statistics weren’t too significant to me, since many athletes can score 20 points and pull down 10 boards at the Revue, but they never do anything in the NBA.

I was just looking for the athletes who looked like they would contribute significantly during the regular season with an actual NBA roster around them.

I hate these lists, but it’s the most efficient way to gauge how every player will do in the regular season.

Ben Gordon, Chicago Bulls

He will probably be the best rookie this year in the NBA. The man can score. In the Revue he did not seem to have NBA range, but he makes just about every one of his jump shots.

His motion on his jump shot is pure and amazing. Once he gets the NBA three-point range down, expect him to be a very good scorer in the league.

He’s strong and can drive to the basket to create his own shot as well. He didn’t put up great numbers in his first few games, but he also didn’t take too many shots.

Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls

The Bulls’ other selection was the Duke star who came out after his freshman year. Deng really impressed me. In his first game, he could not hit a shot but he was all over the court on defense.

He tipped balls, grabbed rebounds and played great defense. In the other game of his I watched, Deng improved his offensive performance, scoring 21 points, and kept up his stellar play in the other areas.

Deng may never be a star in the NBA, but should always be a good role player.

Josh Childress,

Atlanta Hawks

Will he put on some weight?

He is really skinny but has the best jump shot in the draft. He looks like a Tayshaun Prince type that can do everything on the floor.

Some compare him to George Gervin, but he needs to add some weight so he can get to use his athletic ability in the middle.

Just like Deng, Childress will not be an all-star, yet he can fill up the basket from the three-point line. His range is amazing and he should be a solid player for years to come. He is just too good of a shooter to be a bust.

Sebastian Telfair,

Portland Trail Blazers

Telfair is the player under the most scrutiny in this year’s draft. Most people think he will be a bust and just went too high at No. 13.

However, as I watched him, I thought he was the perfect point guard.

Telfair does not care about scoring and can pass the ball like no one else. I think the difference between Telfair and Jameer Nelson is that Nelson has a better shot, but Telfair has better vision.

Telfair also has amazing quickness and can break down just about any defender on any play. His crossover is amazing and should leave many people in the dust.

He needs to improve his shot and get a little bigger, but remember, he just came out of high school and could be a very good point guard in the future.

Kirk Snyder, Utah Jazz

Snyder was a great pickup for the Jazz and will be another athletic wing player that can also function in a team-oriented system.

He can drive to the basket but can also move well without the ball. Snyder can score and also play good defense.

While watching him, I noticed Snyder had the most confidence of the players I have evaluated in the Revue.

He needs to improve his jumper, but in no way is like Deshawn Stevenson, who could not function in the Jazz offense.

His play off the ball and on defense may carry him to being a contender for Rookie of the Year.

Kris Humphries, Utah Jazz

How many solid players do the Jazz have?

Humphries has a physical body and he can do just about everything that will be asked of him in the NBA.

He can hit that 20-foot jump shot and run the floor really well. Some of the problems I noticed with his game were that he thrives on playing people who did not run the floor.

When a player was playing really good defense on him, he could not shake him, but could still hit the jumper.

Out of all the players that I saw, he seemed to run the floor the best and will see lots of time for the Jazz next season.

He came out of Minnesota after only his freshman year and has untapped potential, which should come out in his offensive game.

I never see him being a star in the league, but another good role-player.

Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks

Smith was probably the biggest surprise to me. I didn’t like the pick for the Hawks, but he showed tremendous athleticism and offensive skill at the Revue. He played good defense and also had a good jumper.

Smith looked a bit confused at times, but seemed to outplay his teammate Childress, who was selected ahead of him.

I have no idea what to think of Smith at this point, but he did shine in the first few days of the Revue. He could either be a star or just a journeyman player who can put the ball in the bucket.

But that’s the same case with most of the high school players coming out early.

This year, the Revue seems to be showcasing a lot of players who could be good, but nobody who will be a great player.

I may be mistaken, but the draft has gotten thin and all of the players at the Revue still need time to develop.