Your quick reference for activities in the city of salt

Indoors on-campusAs opposed to sitting in your dorm room, get healthy on campus by visiting either the HPER Complex or the Field House to lift some weights or play some racquetball or pretend to run a mile or whatever. Or visit the Union to roll a game of bowling or DanceDance Revolution to your little heart’s content.

Convenient movie theatersThe TowerMidnight movie-tastic. 900 S. 900 East.

BroadwayBiggest little indie theater in town. 300 So. Main Street.

Megaplex 12 @ The GatewaySupport the bigger guys. Gateway Center, 200 S. 400 West.

Century 16Best all-around theater, varied movie selection, mainstay of the mainstream. 3300 S. State Street.

Local venuesIn The VenueRedundancy of name and scenesters aside (there are a lot-a lot of scenesters here), In The Venue gets some great shows. 200 S. 579 West.

DV8This venue has changed its name too many times. The old name is back, but will it stay? 200 So. 579 West.

Kilby CourtPersonal favorite of local music aficionados, Kilby is the tiniest of the tiny and books the best of the indie best. The Augustists played to maybe 10 kids once. So cool. 741 S. 330 West.

Low-Fi CafeAll ages, so you can take your little sister to see bands like The Killers rock out. 160 S. West Temple.

USANA AmphitheatreWhere Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson and Norah Jones play when they come around. Big and open. 5151 S. Westridge Blvd.

Harry O’sThe old-guard as far as Park City venues go. Still on Main Street.

SuedeThe up-and-comer. As the name implies, this club is smooth and pretty much the only place to see the likes of Talib Kweli or MF Doom. Kimball Junction, Park City. OutdoorsIn reality, there are too many outdoor opportunities to list here. As you’ll soon find out, about 50 percent of the U’s student population is here to take advantage of mother nature in extreme ways. Ask the kids with North Face gear and beards-they’ll steer you right.

Professional SportsThe Jazz, Stingers (formerly Buzz) and Grizzlies have more in common than the annoying use of double Z’s in their name-they are all professional Utah sports teams and none of them are really very good.

Red Butte GardenLocated near campus, Red Butte offers garden walks, serious hikes and mountain biking. Nice.

CanyonsBig Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood, Millcreek, Parley’s, you take your pick. Each has its own amenities to boast and all are worth a look.

ResortsThe bread and butter of Utah tourism is the state’s abundance of mountain resorts and “the best snow on earth.” Park City has its own resort and The Canyons, but most U students hit up Snowbird and Alta for the freshest powder.Or, try contacting the Outdoor Recreation Program (581-8516) for creative outdoor ideas and bargain-basement gear rental prices.

Late-Night Watering HolesBrewviesBonus! Although a movie theater first and foremost, Brewvies is open later, usually has cooler flicks playing and serves beer by the bucket until 1 a.m. 677 S. 200 West.

Murphy’sA dark little Irish bar that smells of dark lager. No pool tables and entertainment is sparse, but a great place to congregate and have a pint. 160 S. Main St.Cheers to YouThe definition of a hole in the wall. Go enough times and get your very own personalized mug to hang on the ceiling. 200 S. Main Street.

Port O’ CallFour stories of drunken 40-somethings = something entertaining every time. 400 S. 78 West.

Crazy Goat Saloon”First we could show our breasts and now we can’t? Make up your mind!” Used to be a strip club, now it’s a social, respectable burlesque. Sigh. 165 S. West Temple.

A league of its own Mormon TempleYou’ve heard the legend, now see the real thing in the smack-dab middle of downtown. All roads originate here, so it’s hard to miss. Plus, it looks like a Disneyland castle at [email protected]