Athletes needed for Hometown Heroes fund raiser

Athletes can come and test their endurance levels and possibly become the next Lance Armstrong by helping raise money to support a cure for cancer and become a Hometown Hero for the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

Hometown Heroes is a fund-raising program that benefits research and patient care and will hold an open house for participants to register this coming Tuesday, Aug. 31 from 3 to 7 p.m. for the fall 2004 season of events at the institute.

Participants will train for running, walking and cycling endurance for the fall events which include the El Tour de Tucson, a century cycle ride held Nov. 20 in Tucson, Ariz., and the Walt Disney World Full and Half Marathon, held Jan. 9, 2005, in Orlando, Fla.

Registration is $50 and is considered the first contribution toward the predetermined amount to be raised.

The program promises to spend no more than 25 percent of the money raised on expenses, and donate the remaining 75 percent of the funds toward the Huntsman Cancer Institute’s mission.

Individuals must make a commitment to train and participate in the upcoming events. Training will include weekly group meetings and then suggested daily training by a coach, who will be provided by the institute.

Participants will also receive group travel to and from the event, hotel accommodations, event entry fees, the team uniform, two dinner parties at the event, monthly team clinics and group- training rides.

The heroes rode this past June with 18 participants at America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride at Lake Tahoe, Nev. In their first season they raised more than $60,000.

Staff, coaches, fellow participants and honored cancer patients give support to the athletes in meeting both physical and financial goals for the events.

For more information, contact Nikki Whye at (801) 581-8266.

[email protected]