Cutting the cord

By Edward Granda

All over campus, new zones for wireless Internet network access are popping up.

Some are inside buildings, while some are in common outdoor areas, such as Presidents’ Circle, according to Office of Information Technology.

But some students who already use the wireless system have complaints about it.

The current system installed in the library requires that users update their laptops with software that is not compatible with other wireless networks, said senior Sheldon Gilbert.

He has to uninstall and reinstall the software whenever he wants to use his wireless Internet outside the library. This process takes Gilbert 10 minutes on each end.

Students have mixed feelings about the current system. Some prefer to have a wireless system that is secure, as opposed to an unsecured network where any hacker can see what they are downloading to their laptops. Others would like to have a network that has no log-on restrictions. Different wireless systems on campus have different requirements for use, from insecure to secure.

According to Robert Wineriter, a computer professional for the information technology office, access points are being place around campus to create a seamless wireless system. He said he hopes to have more of the buildings on lower campus and the dorms to be online by the end of the year.

Office administrators are working to piece together a seamless wireless system on campus. They are facing obstacles that range from funding, independent wireless systems to building territorial disputes.

The future system will cover the entire campus from University Avenue to the hospital and from North Campus Drive to South Campus Drive.

Wireless network access is available through access points. These access points have a range of 300 ft. up to eight miles.

Access points are strategically placed throughout a building and outdoors to give the best coverage to wireless users.

Having a wireless network on campus is a costly endeavor. For example, the system that covers the Park Building takes eight access points at the cost of $10,000. A building like Engineering took up to 80 access points for its system.

As new systems go up, the information technology office will place news signs that indicate the wireless zones.