Point counter point: Is global warming hot air? (Stevenson)

A hypothesis is always more believable than the truth, for we tailor a hypothesis to resemble our opinion of the truth, whereas the truth is only its own awkward self.

Ergo, never discover the truth when a hypothesis will do.”

– Machiavelli, The Prince

Global warming has been a hot topic for years now and is become an increasingly popular issue. The public conception is more often based on fiction than fact.

Many are quick to blame humans as the cause even though science does not support this.

The Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations on Climate Change imposes carbon dioxide regulations on industrial nations, yet the Kyoto Protocol 1. Never claims that the climate is changing. 2. Never claims that anthropogenic carbon dioxide (or any other anthropogenic gas) has in any way affected the climate.

It has been claimed that this omission is to avoid the embarrassment of having to produce scientifically rigorous data to support such claims because none exists.

Dr. Richard S. Lindzen, a professor of meteorology at MIT who has served on the National Academy of Sciences panel on climate change and co-authored its report, stated, “We are not in a position to confidently attribute past climate change to carbon dioxide or to forecast what the climate will be in the future. Thirty years ago, we were concerned about global cooling.” (“The Press Gets it Wrong: Our Report does not Support the Kyoto Treaty” June 11, 2001)

From 1920 to 1987, carbon dioxide increased by more than 30 percent yet the same time period was dominated by a cooling of 0.24 degrees Fahrenheit.

Many climate studies are irresponsibly executed, published and reported. For years NASA has claimed that the South Polar ice cap was melting. Later, NASA suggesting that they might have misinterpreted the data and, perhaps, there has been little or no melting at all.

The Secretary General of the International Association for Physical Science in the Ocean, noted,

“Water vapor accounts for 93 percent of the greenhouse effect, and carbon dioxide is only one of several other gases that account for the remaining 7 percent. To investigate how variations in the levels of atmospheric gasses affect climate change, it would seem reasonable to begin with the most important gas-water vapor. Instead, environmentalists have locked onto carbon dioxide. True, in the past century, the carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere rose from about .03 percent to about 0.045 percent-a 0.015 percent increase. However, at the absolute most, only half that 0.015 percent (0.0075 percent) increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide can be traced to human sources, the rest being part of the natural variation in atmospheric carbon dioxide of which we have little or no understanding. Thus, environmentalists ignore the gas that accounts for 93 percent of the greenhouse effect to focus on the gas that accounts for seven and one half thousandths of one percent.”

New discoveries show that causes of global warming are not well-understood and current hypothesis and models are seriously flawed. Professor Meinrat Andreae of the renowned Max Planck Institute in Germany, told the World Clean Air and Environmental Protection Congress that aerosols helped to cool the planet. The overall cooling effect was, in his view, “Currently dominant and offsetting the warming brought about by greenhouse gases.”

The Earth is getting hotter because the sun is burning more brightly than at any time during the past 1,000 years, according Dr. Solanki, the director of the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research. He further stated, “The Sun has been at its strongest over the past 60 years and may now be affecting global temperatures.”

Average global temperatures have increased by about 0.2 degrees Celsius over the past 20 years. Change is constant. Accompanying all change are good and bad results.

Frequently published are apocalyptic predictions and an endless list of devastation from global warming. Conservationist David Bellamy stated, “Global warming-at least the modern nightmare version-is a myth.”

So next time someone blabs about global warming, tell him or her to chill out.