LDSSA frats and sororities battle for cystic fibrosis

Phi, Delta and Theta chapters of Sigma Gamma Chi and Lambda Delta Sigma claimed the title of The Rock at the annual Battle of the Chapters, held at the Salt Lake Community College on Friday.

Members of the LDS sorority and fraternity at the U competed in Crab Soccer, Limbo and several other games during the event held every October to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

To participate in the battle, the 592 chapter members that attended paid a $3 entrance fee that raised $1,776.

According to adviser Jill Healey, every bit of the money minus the $250 cost of renting the gym at SLCC will go toward researching Cystic Fibrosis.

“This has been a tradition,” she said. “We hold it every year and the kids love it.”

Healey said the fund raiser is usually held Saturday mornings, but the change has benefited the fund.

“It is a great turn-out,” she said.

According to President of Sigma Gamma Chi John Pohlman, the long-standing tradition of The Rock is a bragging right that students in the chapters will remember all year.

“The night went incredibly well and it was by far the best we have ever had,” he said. “In years past there have been arguments, but there were none this year and I think the students recognized that it was for a charity.”