40 years ago today

Today is Oct. 25, 2004. Students at the U are preparing to vote for president-either an incumbent from Texas who took the country to war, or a challenger. The U has a new president with ties in the federal government.

Our winning football team is leading the conference. A Summer Olympics concluded with the United States winning the most medals and Russia coming in second.

On Monday, Oct. 26, 1964-40 years ago-U students were preparing to vote for president, incumbent Lyndon Baines Johnson of Texas who took the country into the Vietnam War (as vice-president under Kennedy until 1963) or challenger Barry Goldwater, a Republican senator from Arizona (a supporter of McCarthyism, challenger of the Civil Rights Movement and welfare acts, and supporter of using nuclear weapons against communists).

The U was inaugurating a new president, an ex-space official (the United States was embroiled in a space race with the U.S.S.R. until Americans landed on the moon in 1969).

The U football team, nicknamed the “Redskins” before our era of political correctness, was tied for first place in our conference. The Summer Olympics had just concluded with Americans earning the most medals and Russia coming in second.

The seemingly disjointed headlines from The Chronicle in 1964 paint a picture revealing what has, and what hasn’t, changed in 40 years. Kingsbury Hall was still old but some job offers requested only men apply, a now illegal practice.

Far-right Republicans were discussing the evils of United Nations membership but ads in the classifieds offered typing service (on typewriters). Mormons were discussing the relationship, or lack thereof, between religion and politics. But 40 years ago a U vice-president (and soon-to-be LDS apostle) had to tell students to vote according to their ideologies, not a current problem.

While skimming the headlines and quotes from 40-year-old stories, notice the language used to describe things. Notice the lack of unity among U College Republicans (not unfamiliar today). Notice that a presidential candidate visited Utah days before the election, who he visited and where he spoke.

Inside the paper pictures from Homecoming featured a bonfire, something still done today, and a parade downtown, something that’s not. Each reader must decide for himself or herself how much really has changed, and what can be learned from that.

Main Story: Prof. Gail Plummer, professor of speech and first manager of Kingsbury Hall starting in 1930, dies after a long illness.

Offense Befuddles Arizona State; Defense Thwarts Torok’s Arm; Utes Blast Devil’s for 16-3 Win

“Utah’s deceitful Redskins threw a monkey wrench into the defensive plans of Arizona State.”

(The win made them tied with University of Arizona for first place in the conference-BYU was tied for last place with Arizona State)

Campaigning Lands LBJ In (SLC) USA

“President Lyndon B. Johnson will make his second appearance in two months in Utah Wednesday night for full-scale campaigning….The president will spend the night in Salt Lake and Thursday morning he will pay a courtesy call to President David O. McKay. After conferring with McKay, Johnson will then deliver an address in the Tabernacle at 10 a.m.”

Maxwell: LDS Should Participate in Party Politics

“Neal Maxwell, University vice-president for student affairs, talked politics last Friday at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Institute of Religion….

The voter is timid, Maxwell indicated, because he is afraid to offend someone of the same religion who has a different political ideology….

It is a paradox, he said, that the LDS seem to feel they have a ‘rendezvous with destiny’ and yet they make little effort to be influential in party politics….

He noted that there are few scriptures relating directly to politics, and that the LDS voter is given his freedom of choice like anyone else….

He also criticized efforts by some members of the Church to ‘Canonize’ the Founding Fathers.”

House Editorial: Opposition to the Freeport Amendment allowing the Utah Legislature to make revisions on the Utah tax code, which will favor industry.

Happy United Nations Day

The Utah Forum for THE American Idea met at Bryton Junior High to hear guest speaker Samuel Blumenfeld talk about the United Nations.

“Outside, over three-fourths of the cars in the parking lot carried Goldwater bumper stickers.”

Blumenfeld was quoted, “The United Nations is a socialist-oriented, quasi-world government, conceived by an internationalist clique, made up of political criminals, western socialists and statists in a coalition to impose by force over all mankind a world totalitarian government.”

University Formally Installs President

“For two days in November, Salt Lake City will become a center of international scientific brain power. The occasion is the inauguration of Dr. James C. Fletcher, ex-space official, as the eighth president of the University.”

GOP Rebels Meet Today

“The Republicans for Johnson, a newly formed cluster of student political enthusiasts who wish to remain anonymous will meet at noon today in the Beehive Room (Union 232).”

U.S. Nabs 36 Gold, “Wins” Tokyo Fest

“The Tokyo Olympics closed Saturday with the United States the unofficial winner with 36 gold medals to second place Russia’s 30.”

Advertisement: A new DKW FR Roadster, 0-50 in 11 seconds, built by a division of Mercedes-Benz. Only $2,145 fully equipped.

Classifieds:

Wanted: To take piano and/or organ lessons in exchange for washing, ironing etc.

Several ads for professional typing of theses or manuscripts.

Help Wanted: Part time-Young man to work evenings in stereo business.

Help Wanted: Need 3 college men. Must have car and be neat appearing. Earn $52.50 a week. Two evenings a week and on Saturdays.