Dear Editor:

By [email protected]

In reading Chris Rassmussen’s letter to the editor, it’s clear he doesn’t understand the real issues surrounding Amendment 3.

This issue has nothing to do with groups of gays abandoning children. In fact, it has nothing to do with self gratification. I am personally offended by that ignorant assumption. Heterosexual Marriage, in and of itself, is self gratification, if you want to get down to brass tacks. The example Mr. Rassmussen cited in his letter was a hypothetical, and I do believe the example was of a person whose children had grown.

This Amendment will prevent parents, just like me, from being exactly the parents you wish for us to be – responsible, loving, long-haul parents, by the refusal of basic Constitutional rights. It will strip the opportunity away for me to take responsibility for the committment I made – the committment you say should be taken so seriously. This Amendment will destroy the family you tell me I should do everything in my power to protect.

Dignity, Mr. Rassmussen, resides in the bonds of sacred unions and marriages that exist based on mutual love, respect and understanding. Diginity knows no gender. I am surprised you didn’t already know that.

Frankly, people like me have everything to lose if this Amendment is passed, not you. When you wake up in the morning after Nov 2., you don’t have to worry whether or not the legal documents you hold are valid, or if your wife can take you off life support or claim your body for burial. I will.

I hope you sleep well that evening. I am sure I won’t be getting a wink.

Connie AnastUniversity Hospital Staff