Where’s the Art?

By [email protected]

Where’s the Art?

When I see the Heading “Arts and Entertainment” I tend to think that I will proceed down the page to read about such things as dance, music, or theatre. I guess I was foolish to think that the BYU/ Utah rivalry fell under Sports. On the Friday before the “big game” most of the page was taken up with a charming piece attacking our rivals, with a bitty summary of “The Glass Menagerie” tacked on at the bottom. I can’t speak for the other Fine Arts, but I am sick of watching our Theatre Department get pushed into virtual nonexistence in the Chronicle. Over the weekend I opened and closed Chekhov’s “Three Sisters” with nary a mention in the Crony. I’ll be the first to admit that football is an entertainment, but I’m tired of hearing about it and nothing else. One of the first things that distinguishes what we know as Humans from their ancient brethren is art. Beadwork, cave painting; these are signs of civilization. However, here at the University of Utah, $4 of your student fees go to Football while approximately 75 cents go to the entire College of Fine Arts. The College of Fine Arts includes Film, Art, Art History, Ballet and Modern Dance, Music, and Theatre. Obviously we would get more money if we had cheerleaders too. I’m not saying that Football is evil or stupid or useless (although I might be able to argue all three) but the next time our student body wants to feed the soul rather than the adrenaline, remember our Arts.

Nicole VernonSenior, Actor Training [email protected]