High school students attend journalism workshops

The flood of high school students that overran the Union on Friday marked the 54th annual Utah High School Writers and Photographers Clinic at the U.

The clinic is a series of workshops and lectures covering specific aspects of journalism, and is geared toward exposing youngsters to the details of journalism, according to Salt Lake Tribune reader advocate Connie Coyne.

“The earlier we can make journalism a part of a student’s life the better,” Coyne said. “It improves the general quality of Utah journalism, which is good for The Tribune.”

Staff members from The Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret Morning News volunteered to host various workshops, which covered such topics as photojournalism, newspaper design and topic-specific reporting, among others. Gov. Olene Walker (R-Utah) was also at the event, and gave a brief speech. Walker answered students’ questions about several issues. One, in particular, had to do with Amendment 3 and its application in high school newspapers. Walker said she supported coverage of the amendment, so long as “a reason” existed, and the story was placed in its proper context.

The annual event is offered to all students, not just those interested in journalism, so they may catch a glimpse of the journalistic world. However, for those who are interested in the field, the workshops offer a unique opportunity to learn from those who do it best.

“I really liked the passion that came through from the speakers in the workshops,” said West Jordan High School student Jake Geston. “I’m considering journalism a lot more seriously now.”

This year’s clinic also offered a workshop regarding press laws that was designed for practicing journalists. Two attorneys spoke about the difference in press laws from state to state and explained in depth basic press laws like libel. Following their presentation, they held a question and answer session, which allowed the audience members to ask their specific questions.