Go away, Urban

Now that Urban Meyer hasformally announced his plansto leave the U, he should packhis bags and get off the campus.Perhaps campus policeshould enforce this becauseMeyer no longer has a right toparticipate in any activity relatedto the school.Meyer works for the Universityof Florida now. A recentpress release from the FloridaSports Information Departmentcalled Meyer their headfootball coach, which meansthat he is no longer the headcoach of the U. I think we canall agree that you can’t be thehead coach of two differentteams at the same time.There is a fundamental con-flict of interest at work here,and if Meyer had any respectat all for the students and theadministration of this school,he would never show his faceon this campus again.I know that the membersof the football team voted tohave Meyer coach them atthe Fiesta Bowl, but I don’tthink they should have theright to make that kind of decision.Meyer will be activelyrecruiting for Florida (I wonderwhere Josh Portis will endup?) while attempting to fulfillhis duties as the coach of theU. It can’t be done. Frankly, Iam surprised that the team iswilling to allow Meyer the opportunityto coach the bowlgame. Sure, Meyer did a lot tohelp the team get there, but afteractively deceiving not onlyhis team and recruits, but alsovirtually everyone in the SaltLake Valley, Meyer has forfeitedthe right to coach the Utesin the Fiesta Bowl.Two weeks ago, I heardMeyer say that he would bein Utah for “a very long time.”I don’t think you could finda person who thinks of twoyears as a very long time,which means that (I don’twant to say he’s a liar, but…)he wasn’t exactly telling thetruth. What ever happened tohis concern for his daughter,who reportedly cried whenhe informed her they wouldbe moving away from BowlingGreen? What about how muchMeyer claims to love the community?I guess we shouldn’t be surprised,though. Meyer did thesame thing to Bowling Green.The day before he announcedthat he would come to Utah,local Ohio newspapers reportedthat Meyer was staying.They had direct quotes, too.Meyer sticking around willalso create a huge distractionfor the team. The mediawill bug them about this issueuntil the bowl game, and itseems to shift the focus of theteam’s accomplishments to acompletely unrelated subject.It isn’t fair to the team, and itisn’t fair to Florida, the schoolthat now deserves his undividedattention.The bottom line is that Meyerdoesn’t deserve to knowanything about the Utes’ plansfor the Fiesta Bowl. He wasscheming with Florida sinceRon Zook was fired, as reportedby a number of FloridaWeb sites and news services.It seems like the least hecould have done was tell histeam he was entertainingideas of leaving. He has nowadmitted that he had a dealworked out with Florida fora while now, and I’m sure ifyou asked him why he wasn’twilling to be straightforwardabout it then, he would saythat he didn’t want to distracthis team. The problem is thatnow he is distracting the Uteswith the biggest game in thehistory of the school on thehorizon. Staying around willonly make things worse.Go away, Meyer. You are nolonger welcome [email protected]