ASUU appoints elections registrar

With student government elections just around the corner, Scott Ence has been appointed as the 2005 elections registrar.

The registrar is charged with the task of mediating the campaign processes and interpreting the ASUU constitution, Redbook.

Ence hopes to deal with problems before they arise.

“The biggest challenge with election season will be making sure that all parties share a common interpretation of Redbook,” Ence said. “I want to reach an understanding before problems arise.”

ASUU president and vice president Alex Lowe and Bobby Harrington agree with Ence that a clear understanding of the rules of election, especially regarding Redbook, will be essential to a smooth campaigning process. The idea of preventing conflict, combined with Ence’s experience with ASUU elections, set him apart from other potential registrars. Over the past two years, Ence has worked within ASUU on various boards. He also ran for student body president last year.

“He’s got a lot of experience, but he’s also calm, collected, and his leadership will help him negotiate the high-pressure situations that arise around election time,” said Lowe. Ence’s goals as registrar go further than regulating the election, however. He also aims to broaden student involvement in the ASUU elections and encourage all students, not just the usual suspects, to participate in the process.

“I want to build on the success of last year’s elections, and the record number of voters they had,” said Ence. “The more students who vote the more representation will actually exist at ASUU.” Through marketing and campaign advertisements, Ence hopes to achieve this goal.