One Studpid Ignorant Redneck’s Defense of His Faith

By [email protected]

It seems like every time I open this newpaper I read a letter from some student declaring Christianity archaic and impugning the intelligence and education of all its proponents. Have they not, in their extensive educational careers, aided by their superior intelligence, learned that Isaac Newton, Gregor Mendel, Galileo, Immanuel Kant, and most of the other great minds of western civilization were–Evolution forbid–Christians? What secret knowledge are these students privy to that definitively proves these and all other christians to be dull and ignorant?

Is it that evolution has been proven true? I have taken many evolution (alternatively called biology) courses here at the U (I was previously a bioengineering major) and have yet to see any hard evidence for evolution. Maybe they save the good stuff for graduate level courses.

Is it that the christian system of ethics has been proven false, because there is no objective morality? This itself is premised on the existence of God (which has yet to be disproven). If the judeo-christian God exists then the judeo-christian morality is an objective morality.

Many people claim to have proven that one cannot prove a system of morality true and this is the basis of the claim that there is no objective morality. This is a logical fallacy, the fact that one cannot prove something to be true does NOT imply it to be false. These same people make a similar claim that God does not objectively exist because it cannot be proven that he does, which is similarly incorrect.

So am I and all other christians stupid for believing something that I cannot know is true? One cannot prove that gravity actually exists, but not many sane people who have heard of it take leaps off of skyscrapers. The reality is that nothing can be proven except on a foundation of axioms, which must be taken on faith. The intolerant anti-christian bigots out there might say that their axioms are better than mine, but that, itself, is subjective.

Larry Christensen Junior, Computer Science