Former U dean dies at 73: Carl Inoway was an advocate of housing equality, strong values

By Jake Parkinson

Carl Inoway, a housing equality advocate and former dean of the U Graduate School of Architecture, died Feb. 3, 2005 in Cheyenne, Wyo. He was 73.

Before serving as dean from 1986-1992, Inoway helped start ASSIST Inc., a community design center, often called the architectural equivalent of Legal Aid, according to family members.

Inoway also served 10 years as president of a non-profit group that constructed the Salt Lake City Multi-Ethnic Senior Citizen’s High Rise.

After stepping down as dean, Inoway became director of Utah Non-Profit Housing.

Roger Borgenicht, current director of ASSIST Inc., said he remembers meeting up with Inoway at the 2004 Salt Lake Arts Festival.

Borgenicht described his colleague and friend as a rather “diminutive” man with a black and silver ponytail.

Inoway had “strong values” and was always doing work that “meant something,” according to Borgenicht.

Borgenicht recalled visiting with Inoway, born in Lima, Ohio, in his Seattle home during the mid-1990s. They enjoyed appetizers and a spectacular view of Puget Sound while discussing art and literature, two of Inoway’s favorite topics of conversation.

Several years later, Inoway’s wife, Rita, accepted a job as State Director of AARP in Wyoming, and the couple moved to Cheyenne.

“He never sought recognition for anything,” Borgenicht said. But that doesn’t mean his lifelong service went unnoticed.

A Logan complex is named in his honor: Carl Inoway Senior Housing.

His close friends visited with family yesterday evening at the Garner Funeral Home and Mausoleum in Salt Lake City. In keeping with Inoway’s wishes, the family did not hold a public funeral.