People Incorporated: Party empowers student visions, promotes student groups

Taylor Morgan and Rob Beck lead People Incorporated. They often refer to their party as “PINC,” an acronym they say illustrates the party’s campaign issues.

P stands for people, not politics.

“We will empower students to achieve their own vision,” Morgan said. The party plans to promote student groups by giving more money back to the student group leaders. “We want to be a resource, not a competitor,” Morgan said.

I stands for incorporating you.

“We want to seek to incorporate every student,” Morgan said. The party wants to increase involvement by increasing awareness of events, activities and opportunities. The party wants to bring student groups together through a campus calendar.

N stands for needs.

“As students, we all have two basic needs: time and money. We want to help students meet those basic needs,” Morgan said. Morgan and Beck’s vision is to help make scholarships more accessible. They plan to create a Web site where students could enter information and receive links to scholarships for which they qualify. As more students receive scholarships, the need to hold a part-time job decreases, Morgan said.

“We will fight for our tuition and student fees dollars through proven, effective lobbying,” Morgan said.

Morgan started the presidential ambassadors lobbying program, which led to the Marriott Library renovation. “I have experience with the State Legislature and the connections are in place,” Morgan said, whose mother, Karen, is a Democratic legislator from Cottonwood Heights.

The party also has plans to combine the UCard with the Hookup Card to expand student discounts.

C stands for campus community.

“We envision a campus community in which everyone has a sense of ownership and belonging,” Morgan said.

People Incorporated wants to build school spirit and tradition through such things as increasing funding to the marching band so they can go to more away games, completing the recycle program and making all athletic teams more visible.

The party also wants to empower K-UTE to reach more students and become the station commuters listen to as they come to school.

For the past two years, Morgan has served as the ASUU government relations director. Morgan helped found the Vote Project campus team. Through the project he helped achieve 80 percent student registration for which he received the Lieutenant Governor’s award.

Beck has served as the director of ASUU campus relations, in which his responsibilities dealt with collaborating with student groups across campus. He organized the Utah football kickoff and the 2004 United Leadership Conference.

As a member of Students in Free Enterprise, he taught business skills to students of the Ngala School for the Deaf in Kenya. “We are true, die-hard Utes! We love the University of Utah because of our relationships with other students. Our involvement across campus has provided us many opportunities to build friendships and create lasting memories. We have found our place here at the University of Utah, and we are running to help other students do the same,” Morgan said.