ORL’s approach promiscuous roomates

While The Worst-Case Scenario’s suggestions might be humorous, the authors warn that their tips are not guaranteed to be “complete, safe or accurate,” so they might not always work. Kyle Bybee, a residence life coordinator, agreed. “Being passive-aggressive causes other problems,” he said. Instead, he suggests the following course of action:

*Talk to your roommate first. Ask if he or she is aware of the visitation policy. “To have that open communication is really important,” said April Stevenson, an assistant resident life coordinator. Also, you should tell your Resident Advisor about the situation and the conversation.

*If the problem still continues, ask a Resident Adviser or your assistant Residence Life Coordinator to intervene. They will protect the identity of anyone who complains, so there is no fear of roommate retribution. “We can’t help unless they’re willing to come forward,” Bybee said.

*Compromise to work out an agreement, such as a boyfriend or girlfriend must leave by midnight. This agreement becomes a roommate contract that everyone in the suite must sign and abide.

*Continued problems can then be reported to the Residence Life Coordinator, who will schedule a meeting with the individual. Judicial action might be taken because continued sleepovers are a violation of contract, both the roommate agreement and the requirements for living in the residence halls.

* Further action might constitute finding different living arrangements.

* Residents always have the option of submitting an incident report anonymously at http://www.orl.utah.edu/staff/incident_report/, but they should try to work it out with the roommate on their own first, Stevenson said.