Utes-At-A-Glance

Baseball

After four weeks of playing on the road, the U baseball team is finally coming home and will play today against Albertson College in a doubleheader at Ute Field. Game one is set for noon.

The Utes (4-8) are coming off a split in a doubleheader against Southern Utah, where they lost the first game 3-2, then blew away the Thunderbirds in the second game, 14-6.

Utah started off the season slow with six straight losses, three against Santa Clara and three against TCU. When it seemed the Utes were headed in a tailspin, they defeated UCLA in Los Angeles and followed the win with two victories against Loyola Marymount.

The two-game set with Albertson College will be the only home games for the Utes until the end of March, when they play Southern Utah in a double header.

Men’s tennis

The undefeated streak for the Utes (8-2) is over.

They lost both matches this weekend against Penn and Boise State. The Utes did not compete well at all over the weekend.

They were blown away, with match scores of 5-2 and 7-0.

Against Penn, the Utes lost four of their six singles matches, with almost all of the losses in straight sets. Utah almost won the doubles point, but both Tomas Grzyb and Dan Mascall lost their doubles match 9-8, which gave Penn the doubles point.

The U was worse against Boise State. The Broncos did not surrender a single set in singles play and the closest doubles match was 8-6.

The two losses drop the Utes to 8-2. They will head west next week to face UC Riverside, Loyola Marymount and San Diego.

Swimming

The U swimming team had one competitor qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Later this month in West Lafayette, Ind., Marta Stepanczuk will compete in the 1650 and the 500 freestyle races on March 17-19.

Stepanczuk has had a fantastic season, including a conference and school record in the 1650 free and a school record in the 1000 free.

This will be the last event of the year for the conference-champion Utes.