The Chronicle’s View: Students First is the best choice

This year, The Chronicle is officially endorsing one party in the Associated Students of the University of Utah student elections. After analyzing what we’ve observed during the campaigning and thoroughly discussing the various ins-and-outs of the election process, we have come to a conclusion:

The Chronicle editorial board is almost unanimously behind the Students First Party.

In an election year where candidates’ platforms appear to be nearly identical, it is essential to pinpoint what distinguishes the Students First Party from the People Incorporated Party.

Of paramount importance is the issue of integrity. PINC Party members have proven themselves to be less than completely honest, both during grievance hearings-a time when they should have been the most forthcoming-and during interviews with The Chronicle.

Considering the sizable amount of money for which ASUU administrations are responsible, it is in the students’ best interest to elect candidates that are the most trustworthy.

Students First also provides students with a different option from the usual ASUU candidates, as the party will work to promote diversity.

If Ali Hasnain, the presidential candidate from Students First, wins, he will be the first non-Christian student body president is a long time. Culturally, he has different perspectives from those traditionally associated with ASUU officials.

Additionally, after looking at the Senate and Assembly candidates in both parties, PINC has maybe two who aren’t white, while Students First has several candidates of various races and ethnicities.

Homogeneity is one of the biggest problems with ASUU, and as the student administration of a university that explicitly encourages diversity, ASUU should work to accurately represent the faces of its student body.

Additionally, Hasnain and his running mate John Poelman have been extremely visible and personable during the electoral process, establishing an atmosphere of approachability between themselves and students.

Whereas PINC candidates have been essentially phantom agents, Hasnain and Poelman have proven that they not only care about interacting with students, but that they also value highly the opinions of their constituents. This is essential because students need to feel they can talk to and approach their representation, lest ASUU create an atmosphere of detachment between leaders and students yet again.

Although Hasnain and Poelman also have faults, The Chronicle believes Students First will take the U in the right direction.