Women’s Hoops: MWC breakdown

Air Force

No.7 seed

7-20, 2-12 MWC

Like most bad programs, the Falcons are building for the future. Relying heavily on freshmen Alecia Steele and Lauren Henderson, it looks like the women from Colorado Springs finally have a glimmer of hope. For the first time in six years, the Falcons are a seven seed, instead of an eight, in the MWC Tournament. That probably won’t amount to much in terms of getting to the big dance, but it’s a step in the right direction for a squad that has never won a MWC tournament game.

Brigham Young

No. 3 seed

18-9, 9-5 MWC

The Cougars form the bridge between the elite two (Utah and New Mexico) and the bottom dwellers. BYU could be a dark horse in Denver. The Cougars gave New Mexico one of their two conference losses and could be dangerous. The Cougs also gave Utah all they could handle in their two meetings, falling just short at the end. BYU is thankful that they will most likely avoid Wyoming, who blew them out twice.

Colorado State

No. 6 seed

15-12, 6-8 MWC

The Rams have feasted on the bottom teams in the conference, while going 0-6 against the top three. This doesn’t bode well, as they will probably have to go through BYU, Utah and New Mexico to reach the dance. Junior forwards Melissa Dennett and Lindsay Thomas received all-conference honors and will anchor the post for the Rams.

New Mexico

No. 1 seed

23-4, 12-2 MWC

While every team has hopes of winning the tournament, in reality it will all come down to the Lobos and Utes. New Mexico has the psychological advantage after beating Utah three straight times, including a dominating performance in the Huntsman Center. The Lobos are 8-3 all time in the MWC tournament, with 2005 MWC Coach of the Year Don Flanagan knowing how to win the big games.

San Diego State

No. 8 seed

8-19, 2-12 MWC

The Aztecs have the unenviable distinction of wrestling the eighth seed away from Air Force’s traditional grip. Like the Falcons, they have never won a MWC conference game and will probably have a hard time breaking that streak, due to opening with a New Mexico team that beat them by an average of 19.5 points in their two meetings this season.

UNLV

No. 5 seed

15-13, 6-8 MWC

Like BYU, the Rebels have the distinction of knocking off New Mexico. Should they get by Wyoming in the first round, the Rebs will get another shot at the Lobos. Sheena Moore and RanDee Henry both received second team All-MWC selections and will give the Rebels some veteran presence in a win-or-go home setting.

Wyoming

No. 4 seed

16-11, 7-7 MWC

The Cowgirls are the higher seed, but have the cow-chips stacked against them in their match up against UNLV. Wyoming is 1-5 in MWC tournament games and has lost 14 out of 20 games against the Rebels. First team All-MWC forward Ashley Elliott will provide the firepower. She finished the season second in the MWC in scoring to Utah’s Kim Smith, with 16.9 points per game.