Senate Bill 227

By [email protected]

As a minority student in the University of Utah, I must explain my concerns about the impact of Senate Bill 227.

Having suffered a fair amount of racist discrimination for the past 19 years of my life, I am qualified to express doubt in Senate Bill 227’s purpose. By passing SB 227, police now have the right to stop all drivers who appear foreign to ask to see a driver’s license or privilege card. Basically, the police no longer need a legitimate reason to stop minority drivers. These actions are a deliberate denial of the basic human rights of the human being. Personally, being a full time student as well as a full time employee, I do not have the time or the patience to be stopped by a police arbitrarily.

Governor Huntsman propagates the murky sprawl of racism towards illegal immigrants, legal immigrants, and United States citizens who happen to belong to an ethnic minority when he signed SB 227. He has now legalized the discrimination police noticeably practice towards the ethnically divers population. Utah steadily moves backwards when social issues are involved. With this information, I trust you realize that as Governor, Huntsman failed to represent the growing legal minority group or the communities working to embrace diversity in Utah.