Young’s inauguration nearing

Ten days of activities will lead up to the inauguration of U President Michael Young.

Student leaders are trying to inform students on the uniqueness of the event.

“It’s something that doesn’t happen every year,” said Bobby Harrington, vice president of the Associated Students of the University of Utah. “It’s symbolic of the U ushering in a new era.” Harrington recommends three main events to students who have a time crunch: the inauguration, the James Baker Symposium and the Ice Cream Social.

“The most important is the inauguration itself,” Harrington said. “But it’s also a great honor that a former secretary of state is coming to speak.” The social is an informal event held at the Heritage Center and Union Plaza.

“At the ice cream social, students will get the chance to interact and get to know President Young on a real level,” Harrington said.

Presidential InaugurationSchedule of EventsApril 3 – May 1Inaugural Exhibit: “Portals: Traditional Belief Portrayed in Chinese and Japanese Art”Subtitle: An exhibition in honor of the inauguration of Michael K. Young as the 14th President of the University of UtahUtah Museum of Fine Arts, Lobby

Inaugural Exhibit: “Range Creek”Subtitle: An exhibition in honor of the inauguration of Michael K. Young as the 14th President of the University of UtahUtah Museum of Natural History

Wednesday, April 6Inaugural Symposium: “Environmental Humanities: New Paradigms for Stewardship and Study”10 a.m.-11:30 a.m.UMFA AuditoriumOrganized by the College of Humanities

Thursday, April 7Symposia Breakfast7:30 a.m.Gould Auditorium, Marriott Library

Inaugural Symposium: “The University as an Economic Engine: Concept to Commercialization”8 a.m.-9 a.m.Gould Auditorium, Marriott LibraryOrganized by the College of Engineering

Inaugural Symposium: “The University as an Economic Engine: Commercialization to Regional Advantage”9:30 a.m.-11 a.m.Gould Auditorium, Marriott LibraryOrganized by the College of Business

Inaugural Coda: “It All Starts With Science” Remarks by Peter Stang11 a.m.Gould Auditorium, Marriott LibraryInformal mingle to follow, student projects on poster boards featured in foyer.

Dedication of the Center for American Indian Languages5 p.m.-7:30 p.m.815A DeTrobriand, Fort DouglasCoordinated by Lyle Campbell, Department of Linguistics

Fri., April 8Inaugural Symposium: “Genetics, Genomics, and Medicine: Future Road Map”3 p.m.-5 p.m.Eccles Institute of Human Genetics AuditoriumOrganized by Mark Leppert, Human Genetics

Mon., April 11Inaugural Symposium: “Visualization: The Common Language” Noon-2 p.m.New Media Wing (Old MFA) A joint symposium from the Colleges of Architecture, Fine Arts and Engineering.

By Invitation Only Inaugural LuncheonNoon-1:30 p.m.Rosenblatt HouseSpecial Luncheon Guest: James Baker Inaugural Lecture: “U.S. Policy in the Middle East: Where Do We Go From Here?”Special Guest Lecturer: Former Secretary of State James Baker2 p.m.-3 p.m.Kingsbury HallArranged by the Middle East Center

Tue., April 12Inaugural Symposium: “Diversity as Excellence: Moving From Rhetoric to Reality”1 p.m.-3 p.m.UMFA AuditoriumCo-Chaired by Karen Dace and Theresa Martinez

Wed., April 13Ice Cream Social for Students10 a.m.-NoonHeritage Center and Union PlazaPresident to greet students and hand out “inaugural” Creamies on the Union Plaza; President’s Cabinet members to help at both the Heritage Center and Union Plaza Inaugural Symposium: “Population Changes in Utah”2 p.m.-3:30 p.m.The Chapel, Fort DouglasOrganized by the College of Social and Behavioral Science.

Thu., April 14Inaugural Arts Event7:30 p.m.Kingsbury HallDance performance with current students, alumni, Modern Dance, Ririe-Woodbury, Ballet West, etc.Refreshments to follow performance in the foyer of Kingsbury Hall.

Fri., April 15By Invitation Only Inaugural Breakfast8 a.m. Rice-Eccles Stadium Towers, 4th FloorGuests to be shuttled from Stadium to Park Building beginning at 9:30 a.m.

Inaugural Procession10:48 a.m.Processional guests to depart from the north doors of the basement, platform party will depart down Park Building front steps and walk to Kingsbury Hall. U of U Brass Ensemble, located on Cowles Building Plaza, to play as the procession passes. Motorized access to Presidents’ Circle will be halted for approximately 20-30 minutes.

Inaugural Ceremony11 a.m.Kingsbury HallPlatform Party seated on stage in front of orchestra, chorale group seated in balcony. (Orchestra not in orchestra pit to allow speakers to be closer to the audience.)

Reception to follow ceremony – Kingsbury Hall Plaza (weather permitting); Gardner Hall Atrium (inclement weather) Light refreshments served

Sat., April 16By Invitation Only President’s Dinner6 p.m.Grand America HotelDetails pending.