Letter to the Editor: Texas Hold ’em is a game of skill, not gambling

In response to Bo Buchi’s letter to the editor (“Poker is evil, don’t call it good,” April 13):

First, is a psychologist toying with someone’s mind while making a huge profit considered helpful or evil? I guess it depends on which side of the fence you’re on.

Jeff Fullmer wrote a very well-versed article regarding one angle of poker (“Moral or immoral, high stakes gambling,” April 7).

I disagree with both Jeff and Bo when it comes to the subject of someone “resorting” to playing poker. Did Michael Jordan “resort” to playing basketball? Did Tiger Woods “resort” to playing golf? No, they were and are professionals for a reason.

Poker is no different. Especially when it comes to Texas Hold ’em. You must work very hard to become a true professional, and you’ve got to truly enjoy playing it. Just because you know the rules and basic odds doesn’t make you the next Doyle Brunson. Yes, there are ups and downs when it comes down to it, but a good player will always beat a lesser player in the long run.

The fact of the matter is that people are afraid of poker because they don’t understand it. The other “standby” stereotype is that it’s addicting-so what? So is exercising, so is eating, so is washing your hands, so is using Chapstick. Everything has addictive qualities to it. The bottom line is that not everyone can handle it well.

Poker addiction is not the same thing as gambling addiction for one simple reason: Poker is a game of skill-not chance. There is an element of luck to it, but there is an element of luck in everything we do.

No matter what your opinion is, don’t try to take my right to spend MY hard earned cash however I want.

You’ve never taken the time to understand poker, and that’s OK, just don’t try to press your beliefs on anyone else.

Ryan Nadeau

Owner of Big SLC Poker Club