Utah post offices give last-minute income-tax filers hope

Students who have not mailed in their taxes can receive assistance from Utah post offices.

Twenty-eight post offices will have late-night collections of mail on Friday, April 15 for last-minute tax filers. Also Friday, other post offices have extended their service hours.

However, there will not be any curbside collection at Salt Lake City’s Main Post Office at 1760 West 2100 South in part to area construction.

Also, some benefits will be available to those who have waited until the last minute. Subway and Krispy Kreme will hand out free food from 5 to 7 p.m. and 9 to 11 p.m. at the Salt Lake Downtown Station on 230 West 200 South.

The Salt Lake Sugarhouse Branch will also provide PayDay candy bars beginning at 3 p.m.

For filers looking to avoid the crowd, the Postal Service said it recommends mailing tax returns early in the day.

The Postal Service also strongly recommends having correct postage. First-Class postage is 37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each additional ounce.

Also, filers should check the collection time posted on each box to ensure proper pick-up. If filers are late, they should take their tax returns to collection boxes with extended hours. For more information about the list of facilities providing special hours and services, visit www.usps.com.