Letter to the Editor: Parking structure would provide a needed student service

I am writing in response to Adam Nicholes’ letter (“Parking garages are a huge waste of money,” April 13).

He said, “Parking garages simply do not make a high return on their investment.”

I wasn’t advocating a parking garage as a financial investment for the school. I thought it might be a nice service to provide the students.

I don’t hear anyone complaining that the new multi-level parking structure near the LDS Institute of Religion is a “huge waste of money.” It generally is packed with cars of people pleased by it.

I’d guess Commuter Services could make a decent return on a new parking garage. Commuter Services could decrease supply so that it can increase demand (and prices). However, Commuter Services seems to be behind the current parking situation.

As for UTA, I’m glad you enjoy your three-hour-per-day commute from Utah County. It would take me about two hours and I live in Salt Lake City. Sadly, two hours of riding a bus that gets me within 15 minutes of class doesn’t fit into my schedule. Also, I can’t read in a moving vehicle. If I could somehow manage to fall asleep amid the constant stop-and-go of the bus, I’d worry I’d miss my stop.

I don’t hear anybody threatening to drop out; it’s just a major inconvenience.

Jacob Tripp

Graduate Student,

Medical Informatics