Return of the Nittany Lions: Paterno’s still got it

There are some huge games this week, including one of the hottest rivalries in all of college football.

Some big-time programs will also be looking to continue their quest of returning to their days of glory.

Oklahoma at No. 2 Texas Saturday 11 a.m. MDT, ABC

This is a huge rivalry! Forget about the rankings and get ready to watch two teams go to war in one of the most extreme rivalries in the country.

This will be the 100th meeting between these teams, and this is such an intense rivalry that it now has a sponsor and is officially called the SBC Red River Rivalry.

Texas leads the all-time series 55-39-5, but the Sooners have dominated recently.

Over the past three years, Oklahoma has won every contest with a combined score of 112-37, including last year’s 12-0 victory, which was Texas’ only setback.

This may be the toughest game remaining for the Longhorns, even though the Sooners have struggled this year.

Watch for Texas to come out swinging and not stop until the end of this battle. They’ll show no mercy to a weak Sooner team and won’t stop attacking until this one’s over.

Patton’s prediction: Longhorns 48, Sooners 20.

No. 15 Texas Tech at Nebraska Saturday 2 p.m. MDT

The Red Raiders have been out to prove they are one of the top teams in the country, but they’ve been doing it by slaughtering teams such as Florida International, Sam Houston State and Indiana State.

In their last game against Kansas, the Raiders’ usually high-octane offense looked average, and they didn’t seem quite as intimidating as before.

Nebraska is also trying to return to its glory days of being a national championship contender, and it’s starting to look like a possibility after a 4-0 start.

Both teams are undefeated, and both are looking for some respect.

Patton’s prediction: Red Raiders 44, Cornhuskers 21

No. 6 Ohio State at No. 16 Penn State, Saturday 5:45 p.m. MDT

It looks as though everyone was wrong about good ol’ Joe Paterno. Except him, that is.

It seemed as though every time anybody talked about the Nittany Lions, the main topic was how crazy Joe Pa needed to pass the baton to someone about 50 years younger, find a nice condo by a lake and retire knowing that he was one of the best coaches of NCAA history.

But how could one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game just walk away from a team when it was at its worst?

He didn’t, and now it’s paying off for Penn State. The team is now 5-0 after last week’s surprise beating of Minnesota, and it’s starting to look more like the gritty team Paterno is known to lead.

Ohio State has been solid, other than its three-point loss to Texas, but it hasn’t been dominating its opponents.

Patton’s prediction: Nittany Lions 27, Buckeyes 24.