Sexism is alive and well

In response to David Page’s letter to the editor (“Women should decide for themselves what equality means,” Oct. 3), I find it interesting that he says that his wife adopted his last name solely for “tradition’s sake,” and that it has nothing to do with ownership or inferiority.

However, there are a lot of inequalities in many cultures because of the traditions that we have. For example, isn’t it a common tradition that men are the breadwinners and women are the homemakers?

And if it doesn’t matter which parent stays at home, as long as one does, then why isn’t David Page the one staying at home and taking care of the kids?

Unfortunately, that tradition still plays a role in our lives, whether we like it or not.

A lot of people say that this isn’t the case anymore, but oh please. Look everywhere around you, and see it for yourselves. Yes, there are going to be exceptions, as there are in everything.

In order for this society to really become equal in terms of gender, we will have to eventually overcome some of our good old “traditions.”

Jessie Lin

Junior,

Psychology/International Studies