The Chronicle’s View: All for Homecoming, and Homecoming for All

Homecoming week is nearing a close, and the U campus has seen another week full of festivities attended by a narrow portion of campus.

Traditionally, Greek Row tends to be one of the biggest supporters of Homecoming, especially with events such as Songfest, during which sororities and fraternities, along with an occasional non-greek group, conjure up creative ways to mock rival houses and celebrate their unique traits as part of the U festivities.

But Homecoming week should be about more than Greek Row.

Those who do participate deserve to be lauded for their school spirit and willingness to sacrifice so much of their time decorating and organizing musical numbers as a large part of the greater weeklong celebration, but this message needs to be heard by the broader U demographics.

There are several ways to market events better and hold them at times that are more convenient for students and more visible to the campus at-large.

Sure, Songfest already has enough participants to last for hours and create an overflow audience at the Union Ballroom, but what if, as one of the most popular events of the week, it was dragged out through the week, perhaps with a night of finals to culminate the experience?

And what if those preliminary rounds were held in the daytime, when more students could see the Homecoming week festivities-during classes when the vast majority of commuter-students were still on campus? One of last year’s more popular daytime events, Paint The Town Red, was cancelled this year and moved instead to rivalry week, leaving most events in the evening.

What if organizers sought business donations for Homecoming week and gathered money or larger prizes to reward participants of various Homecoming events?

Such approaches have not yet been explored. But the fault in attracting just a slim, targeted number and type of participants for Homecoming events should not lie solely on the shoulders of those in charge of marketing.

Like with lectures, soccer games, volleyball games and so forth, the failure to support the Utes in these lesser-known activities lies squarely on the students’ shoulders.

The onus falls on every individual to find out what is happening at his or her school through the vast information offered by Associated Students of the University of Utah, The Chronicle, greeks, the Bennion Center and various other groups. There are a plethora of causes that need our support; finding one in which you feel comfortable is not a difficult task.

It would be great to see a more diverse population participate in competitions such as Songfest and house-decorating competitions in the future, but it’s not going to happen until each of us gets excited about what this campus offers and builds within us a sense of school spirit and pride.

It’s not too late this year. Go out to the Homecoming dance. Run, jog, walk or wheel your way through the 5k.

And go Utes!