U women to take on Baden Sports

Three former Utes return to Salt Lake City to take on the women’s basketball team tonight, as Utah hosts Baden Sports in its final exhibition game.

Lori Castegnetto (graduated in 2000), Lindsay Herbert (2002) and Carley Marshall (2004) all played under the direction of Ute head coach Elaine Elliott and are now on the Baden Sports squad.

The Utes proved worthy of their No. 21 preseason ranking in their first exhibition game last Thursday against Montana-Western, as they rolled past the Lady Bulldogs 86-57.

Although the team showed some rust defensively, seniors Kim Smith and Shona Thorburn looked ready for the season, combining for 41 points.

Smith also grabbed nine rebounds while Thorburn dished out eight assists in the victory.

Along with noticeable statistics on paper, Smith and Thorburn also showed strong leadership on the court, helping the eight underclassmen, including four freshmen, get comfortable in their first contest of the year. “They did very well,” Smith said of the freshmen. “It’s always an exciting game when it’s your first one, and I think they came in and competed hard for us.”

“You just have to help them along, and the faster they come along the better we’re going to be,” Smith said.

Aside from Castegnetto, Herbert and Marshall, Baden Sports has several other athletes from the west, including former WNBA player Stacy Clinesmith.

Clinesmith, a UC Santa Barbara grad, has been the leader of Baden Sports. She scored a team-high 18 points in the team’s last game against Montana and should continue to shoot the ball in excess against the Utes.

The teams will meet tonight at 7 p.m. in the Huntsman Center.