All in the air: Club juggles school, work and catching bowling pins

By Tandra Steiner

The Juggling For U Club handles a lot more than balls.

Since 2001, members of the club have performed for the Utah Opera, Salt Lake 2002 Winter Olympics, Utah Jazz, Redfest and many other gigs.

“We are available for hire as professional entertainers for any type of event,” said club President Edward Pultar, a graduate student in geography.

The group stays active with practices a few times a week at the Union and performances at special events around the valley.

Some members of the club are professional entertainers, but prior experience with juggling is a not requirement to get involved.

“That’s what is so great about the Juggling Club; we are not exclusive to only those who already know the art,” said club Secretary Kent Riemondy, a junior in biology.

“We want to teach people. Juggling is a great commodity and a great learning experience.”

Pultar said the point of the club is to teach beginners. It was formed “as a means for people to learn to juggle, practice their juggling skills with various objects and share new juggling tricks.”

The club also focuses on mastering new skills. Once the basics are down, members of the club move onto more difficult tricks, passes and objects.

“When I joined the club, I had juggled before, but only balls really,” said Tim Dwyer, the vice president and a graduate student in mechanical engineering. “The club helped me to better my skills, and I started pass juggling and moved from using balls to using clubs.”

There are currently five active members of the Juggling For U Club, and many other students come and go.

“The Club is always growing. It’s a fun and challenging activity that works your brain as well as the rest of your body,” Pultar said. “Juggling is very enjoyable and a great way to meet people. Juggling objects like fire torches is a great way to gather and entertain a crowd.”

Students interested in getting involved can e-mail Pultar directly at [email protected] or attend one of the meetings held at the Union on Monday, Thursday and Friday from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.