Humanities giants to visit campus: Salgado among big name visitors

By Ana Breton

There are few people left in the world who possess actual magic, but Sebastio Salgado is definitely one of them, Tim McInnis, assistant dean of alumni relations, said.

Salgado will be on campus with award-winning author Terry Tempest Williams and Mexican statesman and poet Homero Aridjis for “An Evening of Conscience: Perspectives on Peace, Human Rights and Compassion,” at Kingsbury Hall on Thursday.

“Students will be able to see through Salgado’s photographs and hear through his speeches about what’s going on in the world,” said Heidi Camp, assistant dean of research and communications for the College of Humanities and a coordinator of the event. “Hopefully, they get a chance to see both Salgado’s world and their role in it.”

The event will inspire awareness of peace, human rights and human dignity. It will feature a compelling blend of Salgado’s photographs from his “Exodus” exhibit now on display at The Leonardo, with music from the Salt Lake Jazz Orchestra, said McInnis, one of the coordinators for the event.

Salgado and his work are magical, he said, because both are truly connected to humanity and to the planet.

“People are just drawn to him because when people come around him, they feel his unique soul and feel like they’ve been transformed,” he said.

Students will experience a broader vision of the world, Camp said.

Organizers at The Leonardo in Library Square said they hope students appreciate the occasion to see a true legend in person.

“This opportunity is so rare because Salgado usually doesn’t travel with his exhibits,” Whitney Shingleton, volunteer coordinator at The Leonardo, said.

Salt Lake City is the last city featuring the “Exodus” exhibit before it goes back into archives.

The College of Humanities is hoping to raise an estimated $30,000 from the event.

All proceeds from ticket sales will be used to generate scholarships for students in environmental humanities, peace and conflict studies, and documentary studies at the U and at Salgado’s Instituto Terra in Brazil.

“It’s probably the best education one can get for 20 bucks,” McInnis said.

“The interesting thing (about Salgado) is that he could sit back and sell his photographs for the rest of his life,” he added. “However, he donates his personal time and profits to support institutes of education.”