Greeks need to rally behind the Tri Delta House

By Chronicle Senior Staff

On April 30, the Delta Delta Delta sorority will lose its charter-unless its members and the other members of Greek Row do something about it.

Tri Delta is the second house on Greek Row to lose its charter this semester-the first being fraternity Phi Delta Theta. The loss is part of a disturbing trend for the greek community, which is already suffering from low participation.

It appears that the sorority hasn’t done anything wrong except fail to attract the minimum number of members expected by its national executive board. Yet four other sororities at the U have also failed to attract the minimum number-which was recently lowered from 80 to 63.

Why is the chapter being held to a set of arbitrary standards? Why aren’t individual situations being taken into account? The people who should be standing up for the sorority are actually the ones advocating the closure.

The official decision came from the national executive board. The people to whom all Tri Delts must pay hundreds of dollars-and work to please-are now stabbing them in the back.

Unless behavioral rules have been breached, a national board should do everything in its power to support the local chapter. Yet the chapter cannot even get a straight answer on what the appeals process is.

Members of Greek Row need to do everything in their power to make sure that the Tri Delta chapter is still around in the fall. Other members of the greek system should be the most outraged at this injustice.

It is possible for the U chapter to appeal the decision, but it will be a difficult, uphill process.

The greek system should rally behind the Tri Delts to help them appeal and improve their numbers. The implications of the Tri-Delts’ charter being revoked should be disturbing to all greeks. Every house should be aware that the national organization can revoke charters at any time, for any reason.

There are more people hurt by the closure of these houses than the members themselves. Every year, members of the greek system raise tens of thousands of dollars for charity. The closure of the Tri-Delts has significantly jeopardized the budget of the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salt Lake.

The decline of the greek system also damages the quality of life on the U campus. A healthy greek system prevents the U from becoming a purely “commuter campus.” Greeks are active in student government, energetic promoters of on-campus social activities, participants in service organizations and loyal alumni.

The U cannot afford to lose its greek system-and the greek system cannot afford to lose another house. The closure of two houses is a significant blow to the system, and all members need to rally in support of one another.