College students need to get politically active

By Clayton Norlen

Another ASUU activity has come and gone, but hopefully our consciences did not leave with it.

On Feb. 3, Paul Rusesabagina, the real-life hero of “Hotel Rwanda,” reminded students why they came to college-so they could become educated and informed individuals and make a difference in the world. That is why a majority of us are here, right?

All those who were in attendance Friday night saw the “toned down” horror that plagued Rwanda throughout one hundred days of mass killings and the devastation it brought to all those involved. I hope this inspired the more than 1,400 people in attendance and let them know that taking action and helping others is not such a bad idea.

For those of you who missed the event, here it is in a nutshell:

? More than 800,000 Tutsis were killed

? Rusesabagina saved over 1,200 lives

? The world pretended nothing happened

After the film, Rusesabagina spoke to students and answered questions. Throughout Rusesabagina’s speech, he stressed the importance of taking action, not just talking.

This is something that our generation has a hard time remembering. Nothing will ever happen if you just sit on the couch. Complaining about society’s ills will accomplish nothing if the right ears don’t hear.

As our country ages, Americans are forgetting to take advantage of the rights our government has guaranteed us, such as the right to complain if we are not happy. This problem is not specific to America; most people in developed nations are forgetting the importance of supporting or protesting a given cause.

The world is full of problems, large and small, that need solving-the war in Iraq, immigration, education, etc. Globally, we are plagued with hunger, poverty and AIDS. Coincidentally, a university setting is just the platform these problems need to be recognized and eventually solved.

Your opinions on some of these issues might vary with your political leanings, but the important thing is getting involved in the first place. As Rusesabagina recommended, we should let our voices be heard and make sure that action is taken. We should make our protesting and active forefathers and foremothers proud-stage a sit-in, have a dream, burn a bra or write a strongly worded letter.

College students are perfectly capable of making a difference. Latino activist students at the U are already in the process of exercising their First Amendment rights in the fight over H.B. 7. This bill would repeal H.B. 144, the law that allows undocumented workers to receive in-state tuition.

The suffering in Rwanda could have ended much sooner had we Western nations taken notice sooner and recognized our ability to take action against the injustices we witnessed in 1994.

Instead, we went on with our dinners and thought it was a shame-until a movie shamed us in 2004.

Let’s hope Rusesbagina’s words have a lasting effect. Let our words become action, and let us make a difference in the world.