No. 2 Red Rocks take on No. 4 Wolverines

The No. 2 Ute gymnastics team (6-0) will be in at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor this Saturday to face the No. 4 Michigan Wolverines (8-0-1), taking on an undefeated team for the second straight week after defeating No. 10 Arizona State last week.

The Utes were undefeated heading into Crisler two seasons ago, before losing to the Wolverines. Currently, they trail top-ranked Georgia by .445 in the rankings.

Nicolle Ford, No. 7 in the national all-around standings with a 39.342 average, will most likely compete for the all-around title again after sitting out vault and floor last week to rest her sore wrist.

Freshman Nina Kim rested her sore knee last week but is set to resume the event, and Kristen Riffanacht and Gabriella Onodi will probably sit out of the floor lineup.

Floor will be a major focus for the Utes, recovering from a two-fall meltdown against the Sun Devils in Tempe last week. Although they were lucky enough to escape undefeated after Ashley Postell (9.925) led a strong final beam performance and ASU responded with two falls of its own, the Utes will be looking to avoid another misstep with No. 3 Alabama breathing down their necks just .125 behind them in the rankings.

The Wolverines are only .331 behind the Utes, and Michigan’s Tatjana Thuener-Rego is ranked third in the nation with a 39.375 all-around average.

Matthew Piper