Sports Briefs

Ganger gets acknowledgement

Following a sterling weekend, Ute sophomore Zach Ganger received the Mountain West Conference men’s Player of the Week award. Ganger knocked off two ranked players in singles, beating No. 92 Niklas Persson of Denver and No. 60 Eric Molnar of Colorado. Ganger also teamed with Nick Coutts to beat Colorado in No. 1 singles.

Track splits up for weekend

Three different meets await various members of the U track team this weekend. A.J. Roby and Vanessa Mortensen head to New Mexico for the Albuquerque Invitational. Ashlee Warnick, Chelsea DiGrazia, Kellie Anderson and Nicki Hugie will travel to the Iowa State Classic, and the rest of the Utes will go to Pocatello for the Bengal Shootout.

Big Red gets big award

Senior center Chris Jackson has earned a spot on ESPN The Magazine’s Academic All-District VIII second team. Jackson, who has already earned a bachelor’s degree in chemical and fuels engineering with a 3.67 GPA, is currently pursuing his MBA at the U. On the court, Jackson is having the best collegiate season of his career, averaging 7.0 points and 3.6 rebounds. The only other MWC player to make the list is UNLV center Louis Amundson, who also earned second team honors.